Tuesday, February 24, 2009

WORLD POLITICS: North Korea Working on Long-Range Ballistic Missile


A fairly recent NYT.com article states that North Korea has been working on a long range ballistic missile that has the capabilities of reaching certain parts of North America. North Korea announced their space program a couple of days ago which will include releasing a satellite in the Earth's orbit. This attempt will allow North Korea with the technology to attack North America.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was in Asia last week discussing this matter with the leader of South Korea. Both of them stated that N.K. announcement was "very unhelpful" and "provocative."

I believe that N.K. will carry out its task of threatening North American airspace and any US incentive will do nothing to change their mind. For instance, Clinton told N.K. that if they abandon the program, then the US will supply them with economic aid. This is stupid and ridiculous. I believe North Korea's goal is to achieve a step closer to some sort of power or leverage against the US. Why would they give up their attempt for some economic aid? And, who are we, with our economy going downhill, to provide "rogue" nations with any financial support?

Just imagine this scenario: Imagine I enter your house, while your whole family is eating dinner. You know I look familiar because you have seen me in the papers a couple of times before. I have a bad reputation and have taken a couple of lives. I am a loose cannon with a trigger happy finger if you will. So, you approach me and ask me what business I have in your house. I just tell you that I was measuring how far my house was from yours. Not liking this idea, particularly because of the reputation I have, you try to bargain with me and tell me to stop this at once and to erase my recordings. I seem reluctant to do so and as I go to leave you tell me in desperation that you will provide me with some money if I do so. I pause before I open the door, and tell you "I will think about it." Now, your family is left with the fear of not knowing whether I will do anything with what I have done, and you have just appeared vulnerable before your possible future enemy. What will happen next? Power shift, fear, anxiety, war, negotiation, etc. Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment